Wednesday 18 May 2011

Power Balance Wristbands: The Real Deal Or A Successful Fraud?

Now, here's a little something that you clever readers may have come across recently. It's called the Power Balance band (although there are many generic versions of it out on the market too). Power Balance have claimed that "wearing it helps improve balance, strength and flexibility" and "mimics Eastern philosophies" (whatever that means) - and encourages users to take their tests to prove it.



Athletes and celebrities across the world have been seen wearing them, including Shaquille O'Neal, David Beckham, Rashad Evans, Vitor Belfort and even Prince William's new squeeze 'Princess Kate.' Upon reading its manufacturer's description, which states that the band's hologram is embedded with frequencies which react with the body's energy field, I had my doubts as to the validity of Power Balance's extraordinary claims. That is until my neighbour and fellow BJJ practitioner Brian Speirs decided to bite the bullet and invest in what on face value is just another fad.

He invited me to take a little test to prove how effective it really is. He asked that I hold my mobile phone in my right hand, then  make a circle by connecting the tips of my index finger and thumb on my left hand, and he would then use his index fingers to pry them apart. Incredibly, my Paddy digits were no match his feminine touch, and he broke my 'finger-ring' with ease. By proving how weak I was, Brian said now was the time for him to reveal the 'magic.'

He handed over the device in question, and asked that I repeat the same steps as before but whilst also holding the power band in my right hand. This time, Brian wasn't so successful in his display of finger-tugging prowess. My finger-circle remained intact - VICTORY! And score 1-0 to Power Balance.

Next on the agenda was a twisting exercise. I was asked to stand up straight, hold my right arm straight out in from of me, then twist around as far as I could possible go. Brian told me to hold that position, then he handed me the power band. As he predicted, I was able to twist around even further upon taking hold of it.
Score 2-0 to Power Balance.

However, I'm a very sceptical person in general, and despite being very impressed with the hologram's apparent mystical powers, I still wasn't convinced. It seemed that the most probable explanation was the placebo effect. But the experiment certainly compelled me to investigate further...

I eventually came across an interesting video regarding this intriguing little gizmo, screened on The Early Show on CBS in the United States (click here to watch), giving a better explanation than I ever could as to its apparent effects.

The video shows that the vital part of all these 'experiments' to convince wearers of the power bands that they work,  is that the participant must first try the task without the band. This allows them to have a target in mind that their subconscious will aim to beat the second time around. The second and improved results of the participants in the independent experiment was also seen in the control group given the cheap $1 bands, which of course do not purport to improve physical performance.

What surprised me was that despite being proved as spurious, the subjects still wanted the to wear the power bands after The Early Show's investigation. I think what we have here is more a case of a fashion trend that has taken hold, rather than a convincing performance enhancing concept.

I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of these in the media in the months to come, but if I see you on the mats wearing one, please be prepared for an ungodly volley of abuse and piss-taking from yours truly. Unless you tap me out. In which case, they must obviously work...


I love you all like my children, ladies and gentlemen (in a sarcastic, abstract way), so take care of yourselves and I'll speak to you lovely people soon

The Fat Flamingo

2 comments:

  1. Garbage pure and simple

    http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/01/power-balance-bracelets-no-credible.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: Power Balance have lost a court battle and must now pay out $57m in damages and then end all business declaring bankrupcy. Check out the link here:

    http://blastmagazine.com/the-blogs/sky/tmz-power-balance-bracelets-to-pay-57-million-settlement-close-up-shop/

    ReplyDelete