Saturday 9 April 2011

Clinton Combats Cancer For Cash

I will be competing at the South East Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Open on the 2nd October, and of course hope to destroy the competition. Or at least cause them mild discomfort. But rather than just put on an extraordinary display of jiu jitsu expertise (no, really), I also hope to promote awareness of cancer, and also raise some money for Cancer Research UK, the world's largest independent cancer research charity.

Every one of us has been affected by cancer in one way or another, be it a friend or relative who has suffered through the disease, or those of us unlucky enough have had it ourselves. Recently, my partner's stepfather sadly died of cancer after a valiant and determined fight. Last year, my mother's boyfriend lost his battle with cancer, and before that I have lost two uncles to that terrible disease. BJJ star Braulio Estima also lost one of his finest students, Steve Fan, who sadly passed away earlier this year. This prompted Braulio to compete in the 2011 European Open, and despite needing surgery to his neck after a freak training accident, he went on to win the Open and dedicate his victory to Steve.

All this, not to mention all my friends and family out there that are going through hardship even as I write this, has inspired me to do something, albeit small, to contribute to combatting this awful destroyer of lives. So I'll be competing in a hot pink gi (or 'uniform,' for all you muggles out there) and sporting a matching mohawk to grab as much attention as I can. I look a prat at the best of times, but come October 2nd, I will be looking especially prat-tastic. So please, PLEASE, donate some cash towards a very worthy cause, even if it's just to see me get beat up whilst looking like a fat flamingo.

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity and make sure Gift Aid is reclaimed on every eligible donation by a UK taxpayer. So it’s the most efficient way to donate - I raise more, whilst saving time and cutting costs for the charity.

So please dig deep and donate now via the links below:

4 comments:

  1. UPDATE: We have a signed 'I *heart* Braulio (now how about a blue belt?)' t-shirt signed by the man himself up for auction, as well as a blue belt signed by Master Ricardo de la Riva that also goes to the highest bidder, with all proceeds of course going to Cancer Research UK. I'll keep you posted as to when and where the auction will take place in a future blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff Clint: best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forwards to open man!

    Ill pimp this out on Twtr and on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers fellas, mucho appreciated ;)

    ReplyDelete